[Fsf-friends] IT education in Kerala schools and GNU/LInux

Sajith V K sajith_vk@hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:49:07 IST 2003

"Freedom matters"

Hi,
   I believe a clarification is needed for the mail from Mahesh T pai about
IT Text books of kerala schools.

       The text book is divided in to two sections, Windows and GNU/Linux.
Windows section explains how to work in windows world and GNU/Linux
explains how to work in GNU/Linux world. Microsoft Office is given in
the windows section whereas Openoffice is given in GNU/Linux section
and so on. The students,Teachers or School can choose either windows
or GNU/Linux according to the facilities available. So it a choice of
the schools.(Now its our duty to reach schools and bring them to
GNU/Liunux world)

>The  Kochi  Free Software  User's  group  had  submitted a  memorandum
>against  similar  moves by  the  Kerala  Govt.   The memo  was  partly
>successful.

The authorities was totally unwilling to include GNU/Linux in the
text book. Its not a single memorandum which made the change. A lot of
work by several persons is there behind the change. A lot of persons and
groups have contributed to the effort, the memorandum by FSUG Cochin is
one among them.

>  the syllabus  itself is not changed. But the
>text  books have  been re-written  - I  said -  REWRITTEN,  to include
>references to GNU/LINUX. GNU/LINUX, and nothing else. No references to
>applications like GIMP, or the concepts of free software.
      The concepts of free software is included in the text. Text book of
8th std
have two "boxes" dealing with the concept about free software, and includes
"boxes" about RMS and Linus trovalds.  The students are asked to collect
information about free softwares as the part of "activities"

      GIMP will be included in 10th std text book. In 8th std Xpaint is used
for basic
Graphic works.
        I too agrees that our work is not 100% success. There are issues yet
to address
But in the current situation in kerala its a big success.

>They are now including OpenOffice.org in the Xth std textbooks.
Openoffice is included from the 8th std itself. The basic
introduction is provided in 8th std, more features are given in 9th
and some more in 10th.

>I find that the text book committee  is more interested in creating
>something
>like one of those 'for dummies' series books for proprietary software.
       I don't know what forced him to make such a commend.  Just go through
the
textbook, can we compare it with "for dummies series?"

   	The IT text book commitee members are most pro towards GNU/Linux.
All of them are well aware of the facts. The have taken all the effort to
include GNU/Linux in IT Text book. Its their effort which resulted in
including
GNU/Linux in IT Text book when all authorities above them are Pro Mircosoft
and Anti GNU. The IT Textbook commitee of Kerala, (Headed by Pro. satyapalan
SCERT) is trying their level best to bring GNU/Linux to kerala schools.
Don't simply critisice them without considering actual facts.

                            SajithVK-------------