[Fsf-friends] CBSE and AICTE promoting MicroSoft (from india-e-gov list) (fwd)

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Fri Aug 15 23:21:34 IST 2003

Frederick Noronha (FN) said on Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:24:47PM +0530,:

 > I am looking for people who will help in pressurising CBSE and AICTE to
 > change the syllabus to generic applications viz Learn a spreadsheet NOT
 > SPECIFICALLY M$ EXCEL and so on. Any volunteers may please contact me off the
 > list at atul@cheerful.com

The  Kochi  Free Software  User's  group  had  submitted a  memorandum
against  similar  moves by  the  Kerala  Govt.   The memo  was  partly
successful. Partly, coz.  the syllabus  itself is not changed. But the
text  books have  been re-written  - I  said -  REWRITTEN,  to include
references to GNU/LINUX. GNU/LINUX, and nothing else. No references to
applications like GIMP, or the concepts of free software.

They are now including OpenOffice.org in the Xth std textbooks. I find
that the text book committee  is more interested in creating something
like one of those 'for dummies' series books for proprietary software.

Given the  phenomenal resistance  from the establishment  to swatantra
software, this much a great success.

Mr. Atul,  You can refer to  the memorandum sent to  the government by
the Free Software Users' group, available from
http://www.symonds.net/~fsug-kochi.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,