[Fsf-friends] CBSE and AICTE promoting MicroSoft (from india-e-gov list) (fwd)

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Thu Aug 14 19:24:47 IST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Message: 2
   Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:17:58 +0530
   From: Atul Asthana @ Home <atulasthana@gmx.net>
Subject: CBSE and AICTE promoting Micro$oft

A lesson in how to sell your product and make it the defacto standard.

When countries like Pakistan have officially decided to use Linux and open
source softwares for all governmental organisations, we in India are
officially promoting M$.

Take the case of basic education.

The CBSE syllabus officially wants the students to learn and use M$ products.
for facts goto www.cbse.nic.in and check for syllabus of computer science,
information practices.

Similar is the case with AICTE.

Hats off to our country, we really know how to splurge money for the wrong
reason.

I am looking for people who will help in pressurising CBSE and AICTE to
change the syllabus to generic applications viz Learn a spreadsheet NOT
SPECIFICALLY M$ EXCEL and so on. Any volunteers may please contact me off the
list at atul@cheerful.com

The open source tools are so similar, that a student (and at that age, the
learning time is very short) will not feel any difficulty.