[Fsf-friends] IRCTC to run Oralacle business suite on GNU/Linux

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:18:53 +0530 (IST)

Oracle to provide tech services to Indian Railways' arm

>From Indo-Asian News Service

New Delhi, Apr 23 (IANS) Oracle India, the local arm of the global
technology giant Oracle Corp, Wednesday said it would provide tech services
to automate and streamline all processes of an Indian Railways subsidiary.

Oracle will use its E-Business Suite to streamline business processes and
information flow across the nationwide operation of Indian Railway Catering
and Tourism Corporation Ltd. (IRCTC).

IRCTC is a public sector company set up and wholly owned by the ministry of
railways. It functions as an extended arm of Indian Railways to upgrade and
manage the catering and hospitality services at railway stations and on
trains.

IRCTC's mandate also includes promoting domestic and international tourism
through development of budget hotels, special tour packages, information and
commercial publicity and global reservation systems.

"The Oracle E-Business Suite on Linux gives us the power to control and run
our nationwide operations in a cost-effective manner," said S.K. Kaushik,
director (finance) of IRCTC.

Amitabh Pandey, group general manager (IT services) of IRCTC, said: "We are
on the verge of a major expansion. We needed an efficient and robust system,
which is also scalable. The Oracle E-Business Suite will meet all our
requirements."

Shekhar Dasgupta, managing director of Oracle India, said: "We are delighted
to contribute to the e-readiness of IRCTC and help them meet their goals of
improving operational efficiencies and reducing costs.

"It is particularly exciting that IRCTC will run the Oracle E-Business Suite
on Linux as this will enable IRCTC to realise additional cost savings and
benefit from greater efficiency."

--Indo-Asian News Service