[fsug-kochi-discuss] Fwd:[Re: [Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country]

Arun M arun@gnu.org.in
13 Apr 2003 20:47:31 +0530

> I personally don't think so as doing that excludes Free Software like BSD etc
> that are not part of GNU/Linux. There are free software for M$ Windows
> too. The goal should be to spread Free Software and not only GNU/Linux.
> Naming GLUG and supporting Free Software can give newbies an idea that
> GNU/Linux as the only Free Software and that is unethical as it doesn't
> respect the other Free Projects. There are lots of people working hard
> to attain freedom outside the GNU Project. I personally know a group
> that is trying to create a Free Software package that works on M$
> Windows. It will be unfair to projects like these (I think so) if FSF
> (which was formed to propagate the message of Freedom) supports GLUG and
> not FSUG.

GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd are the priority for FSF as far as I understand.
It is not that we are against other free OSs like FreeBSD. But those
projects are not freedom protected and reason for their existence is not
Freedom in computing. So I think our energy is better spend in
strengtheing GNU based OSs.

Regards,
Arun.
--
PS: I personally make it a point to let people know that there are other
Free OSs available.