[fsug-kochi-discuss] Fwd:[Re: [Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country]

Arko Provo Mukherjee arkoprovo@peacefulaction.org
13 Apr 2003 08:08:25 +0530

Raghavendra Bhat said:
> I  have seen RMS  insist that  if possible,  the Group  be named  as a
> GNU/Linux User  Group instead  of calling it  as a Free  Software User
> Group.  That  way, the  idea of freedom  in computing can  be conveyed
> much easily.

I personally don't think so as doing that excludes Free Software like BSD etc
that are not part of GNU/Linux. There are free software for M$ Windows
too. The goal should be to spread Free Software and not only GNU/Linux.
Naming GLUG and supporting Free Software can give newbies an idea that
GNU/Linux as the only Free Software and that is unethical as it doesn't
respect the other Free Projects. There are lots of people working hard
to attain freedom outside the GNU Project. I personally know a group
that is trying to create a Free Software package that works on M$
Windows. It will be unfair to projects like these (I think so) if FSF
(which was formed to propagate the message of Freedom) supports GLUG and
not FSUG.

> Existing `Linux' User Groups should move away and rename themselves as
> GNU/Linux  User Groups  and resolve  in  their meetings  to refuse  to
> support  `non-free' software.   This need  be reflected  in  their Web
> Pages too.

Most Linux Users Groups won't agree with us and our policies.

> The Group should stress the importance of the GNU Project first.  Such
> groups should  discuss the  ethical aspects of  Free Software  and the
> finer  nuances of  `what  free really  means  to a  computer user  ?'.
> Licensing issues should  be discussed as well.  They  may even discuss
> how  free  software can  help  businesses  and  stress that  free  GNU
> software was born  mainly for preserving user freedoms  rather than to
> help businesses.....

There are many Linux and GNU/Linux users who wants to support business
on Linux or GNU/Linux platform. They are not bothered whether it is Free
or not. They are parts of LUGS. So don't expect many LUGS to respond .

Regards
Arko