[Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:39:28 +0530

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:48:56PM +0530, Arko Provo Mukherjee wrote:

> > In places like Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai where the LUGs have taken
> > explicit positions not to actively promote free software (they wish to
> > do it incidentally because they mainly cater to the business
> > interests) it is important to have FSUGs.  However in some places
> > where promoting free software has been the main objective, which gets
> > reflected by the way the user groups are shaped and formed then one
> > may continue with GLUGS.  In Mumbai e.g., we can do with GLUG (one of
> > the oldest GLUGS in the country) unless there is a serious differnece
> > of opinion.
> >
> > Nagarjuna
>
>  Are we then going to do form groups?
>
> We are not going against GLUG if we form FSUG. We can go hand in hand
> with them.
> If it is FSF, it should be FSUG.
>
> Moreover having FSUG in some places and GLUGS in some other places
> doesn't bring the user groups under one roof. So the first question to
> be answered is whether we want to create a set of User Groups directly
> under FSF which can run parallel to the existing LUG/GLUGs in the
> country.

This can be resolved like this:  A group, either an FSUG or GLUG will
pass a resolution in one of their meetings and announces on their web
page that it is affiliated to FSF India and will act as a nodal active
group for FSF.  Such groups will not encourage the promotion of
non-free software under any free operating system, while promoting
the use of free software anywhere.  Any such explicit promotion in
either the meetings or mailing lists will make such a group disqualify
being a group under the FSF India banner.

GLUG Mumbai is meeting tomorrow, and this issue will be discussed.

Nagarjuna