[Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country

Amol Hatwar rollacosta@phreaker.net
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:46:20 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arko Provo Mukherjee" <arkoprovo@peacefulaction.org>
To: <rms@gnu.org>; "fsf-friends" <fsf-friends@gnu.org.in>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country

> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 04:17, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > It is useful to start FSUGs, whose activities could include
> > users of the free *BSD systems as well as the variants of GNU.
> > It is also useful to start GNU/Linux User Groups.

Arko Spake:
> So what do you guys suggest?
>
> Should we or should we not go ahead in forming FSUGs around the country?
>
> GNU/Linux user groups can still become places where people will support
> programs running on GNU/Linux whether it is FREE or PROP.
> It can also leave out BSD Systems.
>
> FSUG can be places to support FREE SOFTWARE, be it GNU/LINUX or BSD.
>
> But either iGLUG or FSUG must be formed to counter ILUGS in the country.

More groups to get the message clear? Maybe we should try thinking from the
user's POV here. It will be more confusion.

Even I think it will be better to form a central GNU/Linux group and have
local flavours. But we must give the people out there an option to align to
our policies and principles rather than simply fork().

I trying to look at a model that amplifies the common interests in the
community at large while being aligned with our principles. We wouldn't want
duplication of efforts and thinning of members. And if we ever do scout for
members... we should be looking at colleges and students. Whoever said
"catch them young" wasn't wrong at all :)

Regards,

Amol Hatwar.