[Fsf-friends] And now the Kerala Electricity Board goes Microsoft

Raj Shekhar raj@plusthought.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:54:27 +0530

Suraj Kumar wrote:

> While I think  communism is partly a solution  to removing proprietary
> software  companies and  make  it a  state-owned  affair, the  current
> "trend" of these politicians will make it a worse environment for free
> software to thrive.

Though this is no place to discuss capitalism & communism, I would like
to point out that a very good author on this topic is Ayn Rand. She fled
from Russia, settled in USA and hence she could write about both of the
philosphies using first hand knowledge. The very idea of communism is
wrong. Why should "some one produce according to ones ability and get
paid according to his needs."

However lets leave that aside and talk about Indian  politicians.
Passing laws to make something 'mandatory' is worse. We should be able
to show the people that options much better than M$ exist.Not many
people know excellent support is available in GNU/Linux. Many still
think that we are still stuck in the CLI. How many people in your
neighbourhood know about OpenOffice, TeX? A few people were shocked when
I told them that some quite competent pfellows hang around on LUG
mailing lists and jobs recruitment can be done on LUGs.(happily they
have agreed to try to use it next time,lets hope) People should know
about something's existence before they can use it.

I think spreading the word should be our first priority. Putting out
articles in magazines, newspapers, conferences, college magazines should
not be looked upon as unnecessary

--
Raj Shekhar
http://geocities.com/lunatech3007/