[Fsf-friends] Re: ? Is the GPL completely misunderstood?

Richard Stallman rms@gnu.org
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:46:16 -0400

It is certainly possible to advocate freedom in software and call the
system "Linux".  I believe that you do.  It is also possible to
contribute to development of the GNU system in specific ways while
calling the system "Linux".  It could well be that you have.  But it
is impossible to be a true supporter of the GNU Project, or a friend
of the FSF, while calling our work by a name that attributes it to
someone else.  That is treating us very badly.

The basic ethical question of the software field is whether your
software is free is; that is the question of how you treat the general
public.  How you treat the FSF and the GNU Project is a lesser
question--but it does matter to us.  So even while we recognize that
you sincerely support the cause of free software, we cannot accept in
a list under FSF auspices your practice of attributing our system to
someone else.