[Fsf-friends] The basic problems

Raju Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:00:35 +0530

    sooraj> The main reason for the growth of free s/w in india may be
    sooraj> the large amount of advertisement and support for
    sooraj> proprietery s/ given by local Computer centers and
    sooraj> educational institutions. Away from big cities, (I don't
    sooraj> know what are the current circumstances outside kerala),
    sooraj> no computer institute tries to teach free s/w.  Instead
    sooraj> they give large amount of advertisement for Office,Vb, VC,
    sooraj> ASP, Oracle etc.  The reason is that the institutes wants
    sooraj> profit and they think that they can get a high profit only
    sooraj> through teaching MS products.
    sooraj> [snip]

They don't think: they know that they can make better profits by
teaching Windows.

My criterion for judging how popular a software is through market
demand.  And market demand is easy to gauge through the employment

In my 10 years or whatever of scanning ads, I think I must have seen
exactly 3 that mentioned Linux and none that mentioned MySQL,
PostgreSQL, gcc, Emacs or Apache.  Admittedly I haven't been doing it
too diligently, but 99.99% of the market appears to be for people
familiar with various proprietary softwares.  Who the H*ll is going to
promote Linux courses then?

Regards,

-- Raju
--