[Fsf-friends] Singapore...

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:04:51 +0530 (IST)

The Singapore Linux Conference 2002

Call For Papers

Introduction.

The Singapore Linux Conference 2002 celebrates the 8th year of
existence of the Linux User Group of Singapore. The official theme of
this year's conference is "Linux Means Business". We would like the
conference to highlight Linux use in the business environment. This
includes any current Linux roles that might interest conference
attendees, as well as new proposals. The business track in particular
will be geared toward introducing Linux to attendees who may have
never used Linux in a business setting.

We are seeking individuals who are experts in Linux and free or open
source software (OSS) to share and discuss your experiences with
Linux/OSS, or to present your current project.

If you are a commercial sponsor of the Singapore Linux Conference
2002, we welcome you to submit papers to the conference. We request
that the submissions highlight your corporate commitment to open
source software by presenting technical papers. However, we will also
have a business track for application specific papers and allow
tutorials/demonstrations promoting proprietary products that use
Linux.

Suggested Topics

Presentation Types.

Business Track Conference Papers: This track is to help introduce
Linux to businesses as well as highlight current developments in
applications specific to business. Presentations may have commercial
or non-commercial content. If you are interested in presenting a paper
on a commercial product or service please consider being a sponsor.

Technical Track Conference Papers: The technical track will consist of
general open source topics. Linux-specific papers, particularly
business-oriented ones, will be given priority. However, we will
consider all topics and will accept as many papers as time permits.

Tutorials: These longer sessions, which usually address a smaller
audience, provide the attendee with more in-depth insights, practical
information and/or hands-on learning opportunities than a normal paper
presentation. Tutorial sessions are also suitable for commercial
presentations that include interactive product demonstrations. These
are scheduled as 110-minute sessions, but we will try to accommodate
any request.

Demonstrations: (open to the public up to 70 people) Product
demonstrations during the conference are an excellent way to introduce
new products or make Linux-related commercial announcements. Please
inform the committee by September 8th if you wish to schedule a
demonstration. These are free to sponsors. These will be treated as
BOF sessions for the purpose of scheduling.

Birds-of-a-Feather (BOF) Sessions: (open to the public up to 70
people) We will be scheduling open discussions and technical Q&A
sessions during the event. Consider these if you are interested in
discussing any open source topic with similar-minded attendees in an
informal setting. These sessions are also suitable for those who wish
to promote their project but lack the time or experience to give a
full paper. These will be scheduled concurrently with the conference.
It is requested that a short description and title be submitted by
September 15th 2002.

Important Dates.

Abstract submission deadline: August 16th 2002

Acceptance notification: August 23th 2002

Paper submission deadline: September 15th 2002

Tutorials: October 14th 2002

Presentations: October 15th-16th 2002

Abstract Submission Form

Paper and Tutorial Submission Guidelines.

Each conference paper presentation is allotted 50 minutes including
time for questions and discussion. If you are interested in conducting
a tutorial or a workshop, or if your topic is particular in-depth
and/or involves audience participation, please notify us that you
require a 110-minute tutorial time slot. Please also be sure to note
down any additional requirements (e.g. special equipment).

Abstract submission (August 16th 2002): Abstracts should be
approximately 200 words long and be accompanied by a brief (100-word)
biography of the author(s). The deadline for abstract submission is
flexible, though on-time submissions will help us tremendously.

The abstracts will be reviewed by the conference committee based on
content, presentation and suitability for the event.

Paper submission (September 15th 2002): Accepted speakers will be
notified and will be required to electronically submit a written
paper, approximately two to ten pages in length, for inclusion in the
conference proceedings. Full papers must be submitted by the September
15th 2002 deadline to ensure publication in the conference
proceedings. Paper submissions must be the final, print-ready
versions, and no later changes will be accepted.

Submission format: Postscript, PDF, Tex, XML/DocBook, or text format
is acceptable. The official language of the conference is English. All
submissions and correspondence regarding them should be conducted
through the website or via e-email to the conference committee:
papers@slc.lugs.org.sg.

Licensing of accepted papers: Upon paper acceptance, authors will be
required to grant an unlimited, non-exclusive right to the Linux User
Group of Singapore and its partners to publish the papers and
presentation material in both electronic form on CD-ROM and the
website, and in paper form for the conference proceedings and
magazines. Your submission indicates that you agree to these terms.
Papers accompanied by non-disclosure agreement forms can not be
accepted, and will not be reviewed. Papers will be held in full
confidence during the reviewing process.

Conference Location.

The Singapore Linux Conference 2002 will take place at the Le Meridien
Singapore in Singapore. Accommodations will be provided for accepted
speakers in hotels close to the venue. Singapore tourist information
is available at Singapore Tourism board.

Speaker Incentives and Financial Compensation.

All speakers will be provided with hotel accommodation for the
duration of the event and all conference events. We are not able to
pay any royalties for presenters. The Linux User Group of Singapore is
a non-profit organization of volunteering professionals and
enthusiasts of free and open-source software. We therefore have only a
limited budget for travel expenses and request that you or your
employer kindly pay for your trip if possible. We may be able to pay
travel expenses (economy-class plane tickets) for a limited number of
speakers, on a case-by-case basis. If you would like to ask for
commercial sponsorship of your paper, please let us know and we will
try and contact sponsors on your behalf. Please submit your request
for a travel grant together with your abstract submission.