[Fsf-friends] ]Open IT - Govt to rewrite source code in Linux

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:37:30 +0530 (IST)

Inspite of all one's enthusiasm about Free Software and Open Source, it's
hard to be too sure or optimistic about the story below.

If government decides on such policies (i) shouldn't the policy decision
be taken openly, on the record and without the possibility of any later
hanky-panky? (ii) is nobody willing to take responsibility for such a
stand -- which is very welcome -- and say so publicly? (iii) if not, why
should we not conclude that this is just some kind of kite-flying, which
actually may be intended to pressurise some 'proprietory solutions'
vendors to come up for equally behind-closed-doors negotiations?

In a neighbouring country, Pakistan, some quaters at least were trying to
use the GNU/Linux-is-great argument to get Microsoft to reduce its prices.

[One recalls times when a number of attempts were made to appeal to
Microsoft to offer discounts for the use of their products in
schools. These appeals were studiously ignored, or snubbed. Today, when
there is a growing demand for GNU/Linux being implemented in schools
(inspite of blocks like a Microsoft-products-only syllabus in parts of
India), the proprietory coders are willing to offer 'special discounts'.]

It might be a good thing if companies like Microsoft could be convinced to
offer more realistic prices to the Third World (just as, say, book
publishers have special prices for South Asia, which are one-seventh or
less of the Western prices) to take care of the lower earning capacity and
the unfair exchange rate we get for our currencies.=20

But it would be surely a better thing to ask fundamental questions about
what should be the nature of software, whether knowledge should be meant
primarily to harvest profits or to meet desperate human needs. Free
Software and/or Open Source needs to be adopted not just as a cheaper
option, or a matter of convenience, but as a rational choice that would --
in some small way -- make ours a less iniquiteous world by taking the=20
gift of skills and knowledge to those who need it so badly.  -FN

PS: To put things very bluntly, is this report a plant? If not, then let's
see that scrap of paper which would make it something more than loud
thinking.....