[Fsf-friends] RE:FLAG

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
08 Oct 2002 11:57:17 +0530

Hi Kanti,

On 7 Oct 2002 18:01:02 -0000, "Kanti  Jadia" <j_kanti@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> I have come in contact with few people who would like to donate money
> for this cause.
> Now the problem is two fold.
>
> a.To whom should i direct this small amount of money.

This question has been taken up in the FSF India Working Group. Hope
to get an answer shortly.

> On the point of running informal Free Software User Groups.
> The group we need to form in nagpur will cater both as a FLUG as well
> as a GLUG.
> This in simple terms means that they will also provide help in
> formalising/configuring/using free software for certain needs.
> The monetory portion thus collected will be further directed towards
> promoting use of free software.
> We also plan to distribute free software cd's since they are not
> available locally.
>
> To support all these activities what things have to be done.
>
>  From the following link
>
> http://plug.org.in/minutes.php
>
> i understand that a trust can be formed which will take care of the
> activities.

FSF India is already such an entity -- although technically it is not
a "trust" but a non-profit company under section 25 of the Companies
Act. You can undertake all of the activities you have described above
under the aegis of FSF India. There is no need to spawn another such
entity at the local level. If you agree with the principles and goals
of FSF India, just join in!

Kanti, I hope you are aware of the complexities involved in floating
and maintaining a legal entity. It will take up time in administrative
activities etc. which could otherwise be devoted to spreading free
software!

The founders of FSF India have already done the ground-work for
us. Why re-invent the wheel? You can straight-away start your
activities under FSF India instead of worrying about forming new
trusts etc.

Regards,
Khuzaima