[Fsf-friends] Fwd: Govt Stand on Linux

CK Raju ckra@vsnl.net
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:22:10 +0530

> Will somebody please send me a copy of the Secy's order?

You can quote the reference number and date from the forwarded mail of
Ramanunni. I think this matter should be taken up with the Member Secretary,
State Planning Board, Shri SM Vijayanand IAS
(secretary@keralaplanningboard.org) who can interpret the legal validity of
the Additional Secretary's (of Local Self Government Department - Rural)
order vis-a-vis the Panchayat's resolution (whereby it had explicitly stated,
that adoption of proprietary technology would make the institution
"dependant" and has deeper economic ramifications). Considering the fact that
local self governing institutions like Panchayats have been empowered to pass
resolutions and bring to the notice of the Government, any issue that has to
be reviewed seriously, the Additional Secretary's order appears to be a
conscious one (it has taken well over 8 months from the time the Panchayat
sent the resolution and reply was obtained).

The forum should decide on how to proceed. I think it would be wrong to leave
the Panchayat high and dry. Ramanunni has been posted out to another
Panchayat, but he still can maintain link with the Panchayat.

CK Raju