[Fsf-friends] (no subject)

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 04:22:20 +0000

Hi Friends,

I feel great that i have been able to induce the need for Constructive
Criticism into our forum. This sets our focus on identifying the problems
and then working on them for betterment of the brave GNU world.

Friends, i will quote a small example on how keeping a close tab on
competetion can help. The place where I am working, we are developing a
complete replacement of .NET on GNU/Linux.

Now I and some of my collegues have been keeping a close tab on what
Microsoft has been doing and where they stand today. Now we tried to pick up
information from all the possible sources, we could lay hands on plus our
exposure to MS technologies over the years helped. (I was using their
products since the Windows 16 bit days), so its like seen it all. And then i
have a habit of closely watching all the speeches, articles and books of
guys like Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. I also keep a tab on the research
projets at Microsoft, IBM, HP, Intel, Major US Universities.

Now we started our research ... and came to some very wonderful conclusions.

  - If Windows 95 can be inspired from Mac 89, why cant our interfaces
    make use of all the research done by Microsoft on interfaces. This
    is like giving them their cake on their face.

  - Microsoft's strength has been "ease of use" of their software,
    with 2000 servers and .NET they are coming into enterprise world.
    .NET is not that easy after all, though not that difficult too.

  - Microsoft cant afford to do away with Windows OS but still Bill
    Gates picks up 21% stake in COREL LINUX. corel is working on desktop
    linux.

  - Our research said ... If you want to be a serious contender in the
    global market with .NET, ... keep it easy.
    And I wrote a POEM ...

    I call it.. "MAKE IT EASY YAAR"

             " BE AWARE OF THE NEED,
               ISOLATE THE PROBLEM,
               DONT REINVENT THE WHEEL,
               AND THEN SEE,
               WHAT YOU FEEL,

               MAKE IT EASY FOR YOUR BOSS,
               YOU WILL NEVER GET A TOSS,
               MAKE IT EASY FOR THE DEVELOPER,
               YOU ARE SURE TO EARN A FOLLOWER,
               MAKE IT EASY FOR THE USER,
               YOU WILL NEVER BE A LOSER.

               NOW, WORK IN YOUR MILL,
               AND GO IN FOR THE KILL,
               BE SURE,
               IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME,
               BEFORE THEIR WOUNDS HEAL,
               AND THEN SEE,
               WHAT THEY FEEL.

Now, the point is awareness is the key to knowledge and knowledge is a key
to wisdom. AND FOR US WISDOM SAYS ... Keep it easy.

Now, praising others for good work is not bad after all. We can praise the
Work of some good companies on our forum and learn from it to improve our
software.

Leave you with this thought,

Free software for the brave GNU world.

Regards,