[Fsf-friends] Three views on Free/Libre and Open Source Software... (long)

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
29 Nov 2002 14:27:53 +0530

> http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?artid=29394136
>
> The Economic Times
>
> Should governments use open source software?
>
> TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 2002 01:28:06
[...]
> Sanjiv Mathur, Head of marketing, Microsoft, India:
>
> To begin with let me first clarify the term 'Free software.' The word 'free'
> here specifically means what you can do with the software, not the price.

It is indeed heartening to hear this clarification. But the rest of
what Sri Mathur says is Microsoft's standard (boilerplate) FUD about
swatantra software in general and the GPL in particular. It has
already been debunked:

  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/25157.html
  http://pimientolinux.com/peru2ms/
  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html