[Fsf-friends] Searching for info on GNU/Linux in Asia...

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 02:34:54 +0530 (IST)

Dear FSFfriends:

This note is from a freelance journalist in India, and I am currently
working to find out details about how GNU/Linux is being harnessed in
countries across Asia (all the 48 or so countries in this vast continent).

The task is challenging, particularly because (i) many countries are
primarily non English-speaking and (ii) most of the stories in the region
have not been adequately reported upon in the international media, where
only the tip of the proverbial iceberg has been focussed on.

In this context, I would be very grateful if you could extend a little help
in enabling me to identify interesting projects that are being undertaken in
any Asian country you know of. You could just send me a brief link (if a URL
is available), or an email address, and maybe a line or two describing the
same.

In particular, it would be very interesting to hear of any projects that
deploy GNU/Linux in the field of development, health, education, human
rights, democratisation, women's rights. If you could also send me any
details about GNU/Linux user groups in the area, that would help too.

Thank you so much for your help. If you would like to share a copy of my
findings, once done, I would be more than glad to do so. Please mark any
email on this issue with the subject-line ASIA GNU/LINUX. Thanks, FN
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.2409490/2409783
BYTESFORALL www.bytesforall.org  * GNU-LINUX http://linuxinindia.pitas.com

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history... with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." - Anon.