[Fsf-friends] [OFFTOPIC] Three views on Free/Libre and Open Source Software...

Mahesh T Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:00:51 +0530

energon wrote:

> Anybody care to relate GPL software with the science of Ayurveda ?
> (since Ayurveda is non-proprietory, and doesn't have any side effects
>  ;) errm...strings attached :)

Well, we are on topic actually. Both have much in common.  Ayurveda,
like s/w, is knowledge based.  Ayurveda, unlike some s/w licensing
schemes, keeps the knowledge public.  Here, it is like the GNU GPL.

In fact, two weeks after the ayurveda congress, (referred to by Khuzaima
in another post in this thread), the WIPO ( hooo! ) held a 'forum' in
Kochi, to discuss protection to Traditional Knowledge and Folklore !!!.
  To oversimplify the point they are trying to sell one of these days,
you can 'copyright' Kathakali.

At this meet, somebody ( actually, a govt. official ) protested
extending IP protection to Traditional Knowledge.  His argument was in
just in one powerful sentence - 'traditional knowledge is like free
software - its creators intended it for benefit of the society, not
(merely) for monetary benefit'  !!!  Whoever said that our babus are
ignorant of the ground realities?

Mahesh T. Pai.