[Fsf-friends] Seeking Volunteers

Suraj suraj@symonds.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:22:02 -0800

hi tarun,

Tarun Gaur wrote on Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 03:35:55PM +0000:

> In stage I, we intend to create a lookalike of Internet Information Server
> which can manage ftp, www etc from one point. Keeping the look and feel the
> same is important as it can help network administrators migrate with ease.
>

> we are working on the analaysis of this product and will soon put it across.

Good thing. Also please mention about the license under which this would
be released. I would also like to know who would own the copyrights.
GPLing a part of the code isn't enough.

I have seen this happen with VA software who wrote a GPLed code called
VAGRANT (a graph generation library in PHP -
http://vagrant.sourceforge.net/). Their SourceForge Enterprise Edition
(non-free) uses this library and yet they aren't violating the GPL
because the copyright owner is VA Software. VA Software wrote this
library long time ago before they were hit by the dot-com bust. Once it
busted, they went closed-source. it is important to note that VAGRANT is
still GPLed.

There were many non-VA employees who contributed to the sourceforge
edition. Thery were all asked to give away their copyright ownerships to
VA.

If the public makes a good amount of contribution and is allowed to own
the copyrights on the code that they write, it would make sure the code
goes free.

   -Suraj
--
| The prosperous and prestigious in society, vanish into noth-         |