[Fsf-friends] Lets Introspect and watch competition ...

Suraj Kumar suraj@symonds.net
24 Nov 2002 16:51:04 +0530

> DO YOU THINK WE (INTELLIGENT TECHIES) CAN REACH MASSES THIS WAY ?
> DO THE MASSES NEED "FREE SOFTWARE" OR "FREE GOOD AND EASY TO USE SOFTWARE"

your question is like, "Do the masses need a hut where they live happily
or do they need the latest technology laser enabled cage where they get
electrocuted?"

We in the Free Software world donot care if our existing software cannot
do everything that proprietary guys do. Agreed, there may be a good
number of bleeding edge stuff coming out from the proprietary world. All
the bleeding edge becomes _their_ property. and its not something you
can enhance. Infact there have been a lot of such "bleeding edge" stuff
that donot let us even use it for any purpose. I have heard ppl from
research labs like the ISRO say that they had to reinvent the wheel many
a times just because an available proprietary software does not let them
use it for space research. As a programmer, Proprietary software is
_definitely_ not the best thing you can have. You can't modify it to fit
your purpose (atleast without paying a hefty sum to the owner of the
software). It is only something that you can keep "praising". do you
really want to do nothing in your life better than praising something
that does not give you the freedom?

We are here to build a better place. Information needs to be free and
that will _not_ happen when its in the hands of people who talk about
'intellectual property'. Software will be useful in all the possible
ways only when its free. And thats where we in the Free Software world
give more powerful software to the masses than what the proprietary guys
do.

Join hands, if at all you wanted to, we can write _good_ software. You
see, the word "good" has two meanings. :)

   -Suraj
--
|I became conscious of the pangs of pallor in the absence          |