[Fsf-friends] Lets Introspect and watch competition ...

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:47:17 +0000

Hi Friends,

This is my first mail to the community and be rest assured i am going to
push this thing thru for a long time to come. In this first mail, i am
keeping the topic of discussion very very generic.

LETS INTROSPECT AND WATCH COMPETETION ...

Is it mere incedental that when we talk of competition to FSF like
revolution, name of Microsoft cant be avoided (we may like it or not).

To give my friends an insight into microsoft future corp , i would really
recommend you folks to take a look at this :

http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/projects/

Now lets look at where we stand ...

http://www.gnu.org/projects/projects.html

We are no doubts as good as the folks at microsoft ...
But we carry VERY GOOD HABITS of Naming our projects in greek and latin.
and more so complicating the description of software even more.
Just to add another example, look at the names of the utilities that come
bundled with Red Hat/SuSe/GNU Linux versions etc. They are really good at
scaring away a common user. (I have asked a lot of end users this question,
and be sure they all agree).

DO YOU THINK WE (INTELLIGENT TECHIES) CAN REACH MASSES THIS WAY ?
DO THE MASSES NEED "FREE SOFTWARE" OR "FREE GOOD AND EASY TO USE SOFTWARE"