[Fsf-friends] IBM says don't partition your disk!

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi@vsnl.com
19 Nov 2002 11:22:51 +0530

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 14:10, Mahesh T Pai wrote:

> There are complaints in other mailing lists to wich I subscribe, that
> doing a dual boot on a system with XP will actually result in a duel
> between the partitions, with non-enslaving s/w being eXPpelled from
> the hard disk.
>
> You may be able to install linux on a partition.  But, next time you
> boot into XP, the 'install new hardware' program will run and the
> linux partition will be formatted and converted to winXP partition, of
> course, *with* your permission, which you gave by clicking the
> 'accept' button first your system was run.

What you say does not seem to be true, at least not for all machines. I
know a few machines with both XP and Linux, and at least one with XP,
W98 and Linux. They have been running without any problem.

> > (a) that there was a hidden partition of 4 GB that contained the OS
>
> Huh?  So the HDD is actually 44GB (or more)?  Or is that the system
> would display HDD size to be 36GB, and it would require some hacking
> to identify the OS partition?  (Just curious)

I have not yet seen the machine. Have to check up.

Regards
Sasi