[Fsf-friends] Re: Fwd: Re: [gscp] Goa Syllabus for Linux

Andrew Suares andrew@ilug-margao.org
14 Nov 2002 23:34:48 +0530

Hi Daryl,

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 20:00, Daryl Martyris wrote:

> 1. We are talking about computer skills not computer aided learning. That is
> a seperate topic in itself. I have looked at the syllabi for a couple of
> other states, and they don't differ much..a spreadsheet is a spreadsheet is
> a spreadsheet, and a desktop is a desktop and there are just so many things
> to be learnt about them. How they are taught is another matter, and not part
> of the syllabus IMHO.
>
> 2. It you think its possible to generisize, thats great. In looking through
> the syllabus, I felt that it was necessary to replace windows specific terms
> with Linux specific terms.
>

> >we need a volunteer to go through the syllabus and replace the MS terms
> >with Linux ones e.g. Windows with Linux,  Ms Office with abiword, Excel
> >with Gnumeric, so that it can be presented to the Goa Board.

When it comes to GNU/Linux, I don't think that it's advisable to
specifically mention the name of the program. I mean, what if the
company decides to discontinue the GPL for the particular package?
Obviously, it would be illegal to still distribute the software which in
turn would make the references in the books obsolete. An example would
be Star Office. How long is abiword,gnumeric etc going to be free?

rgds,
Andrew