[Fsf-friends] Free Software: What does freedom really mean... to whom?

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
12 Nov 2002 12:28:13 +0530

http://india.indymedia.org/

http://india.indymedia.org/about.php3

About Us

What is the IMC Movement ?

The Independent Media Center (IMC) websites is a global network of
collectively run media outlets. The people involved in helping run
these websites are self-styled media activists who share a commitment
to facilitating a culture in which people no longer see themselves as
passive consumers of 'news' and 'analyses' that are produced and
suitably packaged for mass consumption by media corporations (private
or State-run).

For more information about how the history of the indymedia.org sites,
please see the follow this link: http://www.indymedia.org/about.php3.

Why India-IMC ?

The need for for a new culture with respect to media reporting of news
and analyses is, perhaps, greatest in the Indian sub-continent, and
other parts of the world that despite the end of overt colonialism
continue to be beset by the colonial mindset, and the absence of
transparency or accountability.  For getting an overview of the sorry
state of the media in India, you may want to read an excellent article
by P. Sainath (a freelance journalist, and author of "Everybody Loves
a Good Drought) at the following site:
http://www.unesco.org/courier/2001_06/uk/medias.htm

More About the India-IMC:

This India IMC site is being maintained in the interest of helping
create a network and culture of independent media reporting in the
Indian sub-continent. A small set of people, who all share a deep
commitment to the Independent media collective movement have come
together to help get this site going. We are hopeful, that as more
people begin to post news items on this site, it wil help spawn other
similar sites in various cities, towns and districts/states/provinces
of South Asia.  The overall format of the indymedia.org sites is very
open. In keeping with the general format of all the indymedia.org
sites, there is a 'FEATURES' column which has to be maintained by an
editorial team; and there is a 'NEWSWIRE' column to which anyone can
contribute news/analysis items with text or multimedia content.