[Fsf-friends] Free Software: What does freedom really mean... to whom?

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
11 Nov 2002 14:02:35 +0530

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:58:59 +0530, "Alex A.J." <alexaj@vsnl.com> wrote:

> > - The ability to change the code.  Yes, most users can't program
> > `hello, world'.  However they can always hire, blackmail, coerce or
> > beg a coder to change the code for them.  That coder need not have
>
> Excuse me, but what do you mean by "most users"?
> Is it our friendly neighbourhood Uncle and Aunty with
> their 10yr old kid who bought their computer mainly for
> playing games and watching DVDs?

No, that's not what "most users" necessarily means. "Users" include
businesses and organisations big and small, educational institutions
etc. All of these value the freedom to modify the software or get it
modified for them. And for those who don't need or care for this
freedom, free software gives them the freedom to share so that your
uncle and aunty can give you a copy of the software without feeling
guilty about doing something "illegal" and their 10-year-old kid can
be taught that sharing is a wonderful thing and not something
forbidden by law.

Regards,
Khuzaima