[Fsf-friends] RE[fsug-calicut] Help (LISP) !

M.P.Anand Babu ab at gnu.org.in
03 Nov 2002 08:43:57 -0800

List of Lisp/Scheme environments available under GNU/Linux

gcl - GNU Common Lisp compiler.
GNU Common Lisp (GCL) is a Common Lisp compiler and interpreter
implemented in C, and complying mostly with the standard set forth in
the book "Common Lisp, the Language I".  It attempts to strike a
useful middle ground in performance and portability from its design
around C.

cl-imho - Common Lisp web development framework
IMHO provides an web application server environment for Common Lisp.

cmucl - The CMUCL lisp compiler and development system.
This is the basis package for CMUCL. It contains the base image with
the compiler, PCL (CLOS), and the tty based debugger. It also contains
cmuclconfig to configure in additional libraries.

sbcl - Steel Bank Common Lisp, a fork from CMUCL
SBCL is a Common Lisp compiler with a transparent build process, that
aims for correctness and ANSI compliance.

clisp - GNU CLISP, a Common Lisp implementation
Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language. GNU
CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany. It
mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp
standard. It runs on microcomputers (OS/2, Windows NT/2000, Windows
95/98, Amiga 500-4000, Acorn RISC PC) as well as on Unix workstations
(Linux, SVR4, Sun4, DEC Alpha OSF, HP-UX, BeOS, NeXTstep, SGI, AIX,
Sun3 and others) and needs only 2 MB of RAM.

rep - lisp command interpreter frontends to librep
This package contains the command-line frontends to the librep lisp
interpreter.

libapache-mod-lisp - An Apache module that interfaces with Lisp
environments
Establishes a link between the Apache web server and a Lisp
environment that allows a Lisp program to generate dynamic content
while letting Apache take care of the dirty details of HTTP serving.
The protocol between Lisp and Apache is simple, making it easy to
create WWW- accessible applications quickly.

Scheme is a dialect of LISP. LISP-- (reduced clean spec of lisp)
guile1.4 - The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter.
Guile, the GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extension, is a
scheme implementation designed for real world programming, supporting
a rich Unix interface, a module system, and undergoing rapid
development.
`guile' is a scheme interpreter that can execute scheme scripts (with
a #! line at the top of the file), or run as an inferior scheme
process inside Emacs.

mit-scheme - The MIT Scheme development environment
MIT Scheme is an implementation of the Scheme programming language,
providing an interpreter, compiler, source-code debugger, integrated
Emacs-like editor, and a large runtime library.  MIT Scheme is best
suited to programming large applications with a rapid development
cycle.

escm - Embedded Scheme Processor
escm is a filter program which takes a text with embedded Scheme
exressions, copies it to the output with evaluating the Scheme
expressions. You can use the power of Scheme to preprocess various
text files, including CGI scripts.

For Scheme, I will recommend you to go for
Guile <http://www.gnu.org/software/guile>
For Lisp go for
GNU Common Lisp <http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl>

There is a huge database of libraries for lisp and scheme.
Most of the things u want to try in AI are probably already
written in Lisp or Scheme. If you want to know more, do
let me know.

I personally like Scheme better than Lisp.

-ab