[Fsf-friends] FEATURE: The promise of an operating system...

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:48:54 +0530 (IST)

NEVY OS -- THE PROMISE OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM: LINUX KERNEL PLUS WIMP

Or, why working on hardware is a hard job in India
BRIEfnCOUNTERS: BY FREDERICK NORONHA fred at bytesforall dot org

We were leaving Bangalore by the sleeper-bus (yes, Goa has this strange mode
of long-distance transport) when someone can rushing in to meet me. It was
twentish-something Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@mac.com>, with a small hardware
device in hand.

That was the best part of a year ago. We were supposed to talk to each other
via e-mail. But that never happened; mostly due to this writer's fault. Each
time we exchanged mail, one ended up feeling that there were still more
inputs needed before the 'story' could get done. Maybe because the story
itself was a rather difficult one to comprehend.

Putting Kathe in touch with a journo friend in Mumbai didn't quite work out.
Fighting the odds in the hardware and software world, Kathe was obviously
getting increasingly irritated with having to struggle to get a hearing from
the media.

Writing on software which is easy to describe or understand despite the
distance is one thing. Hardware and operating systems prove to be an uphill
task -- specially if you're the kind of a writer who background is
journalism, rather than hard-core technology.

How much of an innovation is this innovation? Is it an approach that makes
sense? We're still not sure... So what better than let Kathe describe his
work in his own words...  We invite readers' reactions to Kathe's ideas,
expressed in the form of a Q&A that he sent in recently:

What is Nevy OS?

Nevy OS is a new name of the 'Indy' operating system, the first operating
system from Tisya Microsystems Pvt. Ltd., and probably the first Operating
System from the Indian sub-continent. Nevy OS is being created and
constantly improved to work for the upcoming computing device from Tisya,
called 'Nevy'.

Nevy could be a computing device which will break away from most traditional
theories, and twist certain beliefs to create the real people's computer. At
this point, we would prefer not to talk about Nevy, because we want to
maintain an element of surprise. But, just to keep you interested, let us
tell you that it's going to be a portable *not a hand-held* and will be the
culmination of over four years of research and development.

Nevy OS is being built on the Linux kernel with a state of the art graphical
environment which is zippy yet featureful. It is based on the 'WIMP'
(Windows Icons Menus Pointers) paradigm that originated at Xerox and best
implemented by Apple Computers and most abused by Microsoft ;^)

Nevy in its current release has a menuing system; web browser jotpad;
application game of snake network configurator.

This is a Preview Release 1. It is being done to let people get a feel of
what is coming their way. We will be releasing updated, improvised and
application rich PRs regularly. Please keep your browsers tuned in to
http://www.tisya.co.in/downloads/

Why is it called Nevy?

'Nevy' and the 'Nevy OS' get their names as a tribute to the person who has
touched my heart. That person was the prime cause for bringing me out of the
dumps, for making me fight back and infuse a renewed sense of purpose in
life.

Why is it not called 'Indy' anymore?

Because an awesome company (SGI) in Silicon Valley makes computers by the
same name.

Who were the people involved in the project directly/indirectly?

Lots of them... But primarily, the most important people were: besides
myself as the driving force and investor behind the idea, Erle Pereira, who
has been one of the closest buddies and persons to support me the longest.
He's also the one to be in a constant state of confusion, because of the
various strategies laid out and executed by that terrible guy called
Mayuresh.

There's Amit Kucheria, one of the most amazing and enthusiastic brains, who
have been providing constant moral support from afar (as far away as the US
of A). Alan Kay, though he hasn't supported directly, but has always been
the kind of person who would suddenly appear out of nowhere and tell you
things which would make certain pieces of the big puzzle fit in.

Mr. Jef Raskin again though not a direct supporter has been a constant guide
and the force to make me think out of the box. (He also manages to give a
kick on the #$%^ to wake you out of the dream world)

When did it start, where and how?

It started sometime around the year 1997-98 when I was getting bored of all
the routine development work as part of his duties at Larsen & Toubro,
Mumbai. I wanted something more challenging, something which would allow me
to tap into my latent potential and do something significant.

I was doing quite some amount of research on easy to deploy network
solutions for data exchange, also some research on handwriting recognition,
add to that my inner desire to build systems which would be so easy to use
that they were almost intuitive.

I was also disgruntled with the fact that Windows was spreading around
faster than a virus. It became obvious that the path Windows was taking
would demand an upgrade to hardware almost every year.

That would mean the prices of hardware almost never going down, only the
power offered would be a lot more for that same cost.

That was a situation not conducive to bringing computing to the general
masses (that idea of bringing computing to the masses arose out of the fact
that I couldn't afford a computer till I had started working)

I wanted the upcoming generation to grow up with computers, be as at ease
with them as my generation was with VCRs. But, I also wanted to them to be
technologically sound and work in an environment which would let them focus
on their job (invisibility of technology).

So one fine morning, during the bus ride to my office I popped up a question
to start a brain storming session with my friend Rajeev Warrier (now at
PW-C).

The idea was to build an information appliance which would be hooked on to
vast network of data (based on the Internet, but running parallel to the
WWW) allowing the user access to information at the touch of a button. The
appliance would have to be small, rugged, affordable and simple to use.
(Personally, I wanted to base it on the LCARS system aboard the Star Trek
Enterprise in the Next Generation series.)

We figured, we would need a minimalistic OS, its sole data would be to start
the hardware, get on the Internet and send queries and receive and display
data.

To avoid problems we wanted to eliminate the concept of a floppy disk drive
or a CD drive (for that we thought we would make an OS which would be
non-failing). And to keep costs low, we wanted to use the television as
output, and provide a keyboard with built-in pointer controller (our
terminology for mouse/trackball/ peticular switch) with a long cable
(wireless would be too expensive).

The biggest impediment would be the network.

I envisaged a network based on the standard LAN (the benefit of having
worked in a corporate environment) theme, only, we would call it SN (Society
Network). This network would have to be the death bell of the irritating
cable television network, since I wanted to provide 'Video on Demand'.

We (Rajeev and me) would discuss it in detail every morning, sometimes
during lunch, in the evening bus ride.

We came up with an idea of creating separate smart disks which would be plug
and play to the appliance hence providing external storage space (if
required). Our biggest impediment was cost, the hardware cost just would go
down (especially due to the TV output interface).

That problem got solved one morning when I read an article in 'PC Quest'
about a new MediaGX-based motherboard, created by a company in Bangalore
'Bharati Electronics'.

We were euphoric. It infused a new life to our brain-storming sessions. I
went ballistic, somehow, it seemed -- the force was with us -- that things
were going our way,

I met up with a guy at one of my regular Linux Users meets. He was a
hardware assembler. I talked about the motherboard, he said he had heard
about it. I talked him into lending me one of those boards.

I told him, "If this succeeds, you get a cut and you will be rolling in
money. If it fails, what's there to lose? You just assemble a PC with the
board and sell it off." He agreed, he contacted the BE (Bharati Electronics)
office in Bombay, got hold of a board and put the whole thing in an old
casing and gave it to me.

I toyed around with it for a couple of weeks, showed him a demo (which was
pathetic). He was not happy, and started pushing to give back the system.

In the meanwhile, I had been talking with an old colleague of mine -- Deepak
Sharma, who had left L&T -- about my ideas. He was working for Fore Systems
which got bought out by Marconi Telecom, UK and I figured I would need his
help to execute my idea of establishing SNs.

He talked to me at length about my concepts, and said it was a workable
idea. We had discussed it for long, and I even showed him a demo.

When the assembler pressurized me too much, I had to return the machine, but
that wasn't before I had taken a trip to Bangalore and shown a demo to a
company, via Deepak's contacts.

The company offered me a job to bring that concept to reality. I jumped as I
had already got frustrated with all the ridicule at L&T. Perhaps people out
there just couldn't get it, being too closed minded.

I reached Bangalore, and after that things happened in a sort of fast
forward. What I had imagined the company to be -- based on Deepak's
information -- was not what it really was.

The company was dying, and I was supposed to be their saviour. Add to that I
had to do it without any support (neither people to work with, nor
sufficient equipment). I worked long and hard, worked nights at end, but
things were proceeding too slow, with only me working on both, the hardware
specification and software development.

I fell ill with Typhoid, almost scrapped death, and had to come back to
Bombay for treatment. In the meanwhile, I was made into a scapegoat for the
failures of that company. The company got shutdown. Luckily I escaped with
the bare minimum of injuries.

Back in Bombay, broken physically and emotionally, I moved around aimlessly
for quite some time, till one fine day I sat and thought things out.

I figured, 'I am young, haven't got much to lose and that I giving it one
more shot would be the best alternative.' I started afresh, dug up old
contacts, built new, spoke with a couple of developers -- Erle was one of
them -- and asked around for funds. No one was investing.

One of my associates had heard about my plight. He also knew that I toying
around with the idea about introducing a StrongARM (processor)-based
computing device.

One of his business contacts had one StrongARM evaluation board which he
could not use. He got us both together. The owner of the board suggested
that I collaborate with his company to develop a set-top-box for his markets
in the Far East.

It was the turning point, though due to my inexperience I faced a lot of
hardships. Though after a prolonged skirmish (and a pending case against
them) the collaboration fell through, I managed to salvage around Rs 450,000
(under $10,000) from the deal as fees towards consultation and
miscellaneous expenses.

Using that as capital, I took a trip to Taiwan, got oriented with the
workings of the place -- very amusing, those guys work with hardware like we
work with software, quick.... Built a dependable base in four working days,
and a prototype, came back...

That was the period of the 'crash of twin towers', the market had collapsed
along with them.

This was the time when I figured it would be better to start improving the
Operating System and develop a contact base in India.

We worked on Nevy OS (then called Indy). I moved all around the place
(including Bangalore, where I met a person called Fred) and showed him one
of our prototypes. We did an _alpha_ release on Jan 26, 2002, and
approximately 6 months from then we have now down a preview release...

A Poem attributed to the people at Tisya:

Here's to the crazy ones...
The Misfits,
The Rebels,
The Troublemakers,
The Round pegs in the Square Holes,
The Ones who see things Differently,
They're not fond of rules and have no respect for the status quo,
You can quote them,
Disagree with them,
Glorify or Vilify them,
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them,
Because they change things,
They push the human race forward,
And while some may see them as the crazy ones,
We see genius,
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
Are the ones who do