[Fsf-friends] Mentoring students !!

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:03:34 +0000

Hi Richard,

Free software will follow. All of us will need each other's help to pull it
off with students community in india. I am already working on making
students aware of the movement.

Now there seems to be a small issue here. I am unaware of who is formally
handling the indian wing of GNU and on your advice, have been repeatedly
mailing them from my informal and fomal mail ids but honestly, you (after
handling GNU world over) respond faster than them. I am yet to hear from
them. I suppose i have sent you the copies of the mails that i have sent to
them too.

I am not blaming anyone, but we have to act fast.

The movement and free software! Richard, it will take time, but once it
picks up in india, we'll rejoice on the results. Someone has to sow to reap
the fruits later.

As for the movement, what Suraj and others are doing is quite encouraging.

Regards,
Tarun Gaur

From: Suraj Kumar <suraj@symonds.net>
To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
CC: raamanp@yahoo.co.in, gaur_tarun@hotmail.com, fsf-friends@mm.gnu.org.in
Subject: Re: [Fsf-friends] Mentoring students !!
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 08:26:19 +0530

Richard Stallman wrote on Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 12:12:11PM -0500:
,----
| ,----
| |     We at Chennai have a movement for imparting ideals of
| |     Free Sofware to students, with aim of getting future
| |     developers. You can look at
| |     www.gpasokan.com/demo-schools
| `----
|

| Have you managed to develop a useful free software package yet?
`----

No. We have the following course of action:

1. Teach Free Software to school kids
2. Pilot a software development project - by students, for students,
   of students
3. Take this software to other schools; repeat through step 1 but in
   step 2 make students improve / fix bugs (thereby telling them the
   importance of sharing)

We are  also writing free  books for use  with a formal  Free Software
syllabus.   There  has   been  an   overwhelming  response   from  the
community. We found a good deal of books. We will also be using a  few
books  from gnupress.org  and trim  it down  to fit  a  typical school
student's mind.

Our FAQ: http://gpasokan.com/demo-schools/faq.php

   -Suraj
--
| Evils dare not touch families of high tradition,                     |

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf