[Fsf-friends] Mentoring students !!

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 05:27:16 +0000

Hi Richard,

The genius that started it all cant be left out. My apologies for calling it
"open source". Let me correct it and call it 'free software movement" as i
myself firmly believe in the ideology. Thanks again for correcting me.

Now, on students, Richard i dont agree with your and Gopal's view that the
mainstream students cant contribute and will not contribute. i agree your
assumptions are based on your experience in US and are for sure backed by
statistics, but with India it is a bit different.

There is a massive educational setup that india can boast of in IT,
especially when IT is generating such a huge revenues for a developing
country, the country is for sure interested in upping the tempo in this
promising field.

The manpower is in abundance, making India a powerhouse for future global
software development alongside US (No. of MNCs setting up dev. centres in
India is a witness).

This manpower is of two kinds, one in the industry and one waiting to be
churned out.

My experience with the students says; if this community is guided and pushed
a bit, they come out with amazing results.

The environment is very conducive for FSF, as gopal said, universities dont
claim ownership of the work ... Its good, it can be Free.

Universities in India will be more than willing to associate with FSF for
the sake of students. FSF should be willing too. If it does not give us free
software, atleast it will push the ideology to a larger base of future
professionals.

But with my experience with students in india; i firmly believe they can
contribute a lot. Believe me every single student in IT in india has the
desire to catch up with the global level. Stakes are higher here for a
student than his counterpart in US, my indian friends can understand.

FSF on one hand is a window for them to peep into good quality s/w and on
the other hand become a forum for this community to channalize their
innovations.

the students are not contributing today on their own because i am sure the
majority (in india) is oblivious of our existance or the kind of work being
done at FSF or the ideology. We need to push the ideology and i am sure they
will push free software back at us.

[to Gopal]

Gopal, if you and me can do it at our individual levels, then lets not leave
this community out. If we are able to get 50 wonderful developers per year
from this massive community making free software, i dont see it as a
failure; alongwith we will sure get a big community supporting the ideology.

[to Richard]
Richard, i can vouch for Indian students, they can give you amazing results.
Believe me they can rock the base of all the business initiatives and
tactics being employed by the properietry world. lets make them understand
what free s/w is; the way you have done it for us.

leave you with this thought,

regards,
tarun gaur