[Fsf-friends] Microsoft to share Windows code with India

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:06:58 +0000

Hi Mr. Satish,

You are very right when you say the recipe of coke cant do much on itself.
But lets for a moment think on what the availability of recipe of coke can
do when it is free to one and all.

- Maybe someone would have innovated and creted a new recipe, that  would
have been better than coke. Then we could have drank the wonderful coke++
rather than coke.

- maybe that coke++ would have costed a lot less.

- maybe we could have made it at home ?

- maybe we could have altered the taste to suit our tastebuds.

- further, this new innovation would have been available to one and all, so
no drinking (digital) divide.

A flip side could be an uncontrollable mess. This is being taken care of.

- Now regulating/benchmarking/standardizing/ the new inventions is exctly
what GNU is doing.

satish> what is important and critical is to understand how to
satish> envision, architect,design, develop, test,...and implement satish>
integrated systems in as much as is feasible with an
satish> understanding both of the needs and the technology and in that
satish> order.

yes, you are right. We are catching up fast with the properietry world, and
in some spheres we are infact better. More than half of the internet that
supports us all is the result of this and similar visions and integrations.
Mr. Satish, be sure in near future you will see a lot coming out of GNU and
elswhere that will take care of your concerns.

maybe your concern is not understood, correct me if i am wrong. You indend
to say that open source is a minor piece of the puzzle. There are a lot more
concerns to be handled alongwith.

[ to other friends:]
friends, Mr. Satish does not seem to be opposing OS idea or Freedom, maybe
what he intends to say is Open source is there to stay, now we have it and
more and more is available by the tick, we need to look at the concerns
beyond open source (that i think we are now doing).
He seems to say: for an organisation : An integrated free system is far more
important than the source code of that system. (but having the source code
is great anyways).

[to Mr. Satish]

Sir, open source is the key to freedom and innovation. We stand a better
chance of achieving integrated systems that are the best when thousands of
envanglists are working on your concerns and remember the OPEN RECIPE of
coke triggered it all.

In near future you wont have to shell out money cause of weird licensing
schemes.

MICROSOFT is pretending to share code. What and how much has become a well
circulated joke. Mr. Bill gates must have or soon will realize that Indians
carry far more commonsense than he thinks they do. They lined up to take
money from him, not give it to him.

what microsoft is undertaking is a well guided tactical move to undermine
linux. Dont worry, commonsense will prevail. We know by now, how he thinks.

Anyways, future will not be decided by Microsoft or GNU sharing codes. It
will be decided by what kind of integrated systems come up at both the ends.

leave you with this thought ...

Regards,
tarun gaur