[Fsf-friends] Re: [bytesforall_readers] Microsoft to share Windows code with India

satish jha satish jha" <sjha@vsnl.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:20:49 +0530

i know fred and a host of friends do not agree with me on this issue but i
do believe that open source is not the most important issue in putting ict
to development projects any more than knowing the recipe of coke will make a
developing country rich.

what is important and critical is to understand how to envision, architect,
design, develop, test,...and implement integrated systems in as much as is
feasible with an understanding both of the needs and the technology and in
that order.

open source debate is but a minor piece of the puzzle. of course the debate
should continue. but just as making coca cola the plan of its government's
policy did not help the first non-congress government in india (we lost
another 14 years until a certain prime minister decided to open the economy
instead) and the nation much, open source will not do very much more either.

thanks
satish jha
cmd, james martin & co
www.jmcin.com