[Fsf-friends] Big Blue counters Gates' offer for Indian software

Soundara Rajan N.S. searchlight@sancharnet.in
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:10:16 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_o/AcKtGqXRbbPSNvPAFXqA)

Big Blue counters Gates' offer for Indian software
IANS

Thursday, December 12, 2002

BANGALORE: After Microsoft chairman Bill Gates' lavish offerings for health, education and proprietary software, his company's biggest competitor IBM has offered to transform India into a software industry hub if it adopts the open source standard.

The world's second largest software company that is also known as the Big Blue is offering to build "enablement centres" for India to shift from being a mere software services powerhouse to a full-fledged software industry hub.

"We are willing to invest heavily in the enablement centres based on what decision the government takes. It should standardise on open source and we will create centres for the software industry to flourish," Amuj Goyal, vice president, solutions and strategy, IBM software group, told IANS.

Source: siliconindia.com

N.S. Soundara Rajan, freelance IT journalist and Knowledge networker, based at Mysore, India
 ...connecting people to people, and people to knowledge

--Boundary_(ID_o/AcKtGqXRbbPSNvPAFXqA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG><FONT size=4>Big Blue counters Gates' offer
for Indian software </FONT></STRONG>
<P><FONT color=black size=1>IANS</FONT>
<P><FONT color=black size=2>Thursday, December 12, 2002</FONT>
<P><FONT face=TimesRoman color=black size=3></FONT>BANGALORE: After Microsoft
chairman Bill Gates' lavish offerings for health, education and proprietary
software, his company's biggest competitor IBM has offered to transform India
into a software industry hub if it adopts the open source standard. <BR><BR>The
world's second largest software company that is also known as the Big Blue is
offering to build "enablement centres" for India to shift from being a mere
software services powerhouse to a full-fledged software industry hub.
<BR><BR>"We are willing to invest heavily in the enablement centres based on
what decision the government takes. It should standardise on open source and we
will create centres for the software industry to flourish," Amuj Goyal, vice
president, solutions and strategy, IBM software group, told IANS. </P>
<P>Source: siliconindia.com</P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN
style="COLOR: black">
<DIV>N.S. Soundara Rajan, freelance IT journalist a<FONT face=Arial size=2>nd
</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>Knowledge networker, based at Mysore,
India</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;<FONT face="Monotype Corsiva" color=#0000ff size=4>...connecting
people to people, and people to knowledge</FONT></DIV>
<P></SPAN></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_o/AcKtGqXRbbPSNvPAFXqA)--