[Fsf-friends] IP, Software, Solutions and Services

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 05:28:18 +0000

Hi Sanil,

Its an interesting discussion that you have initiated.

In my view, Open source movement gives a whole new meaning to IP and
software. Yes, i agree with you that there is no need to GPL all the
software of the world, but it really helps to have good quality software
available that can be moulded and modified to meet your solutions.

Computer industry is still in its first phase of evolution along with
internet. What the industry has been creating is operating systems, graphics
capabilities, communications, open standards, multimedia, data storage,
network architectures etc etc. Now, all these tools are basic ingredients to
provide solutions to the connected world.

my point of view is that all these basic capabilities and tools  should be
GPLed. now you can pick up these tools, modify them to your requirements and
provide SOLUTIONS. If these basic tools are properietary, then you are not
in a position to match the might/muscle and money power or the megacorps
riding high by charging (rather duping people for basic tools) heavy amounts
for these tools.

Look at what GPLed software has given to you. Tools as good as properietary
tools (if there is something left, we all are closing in fast), now you are
free to create your solutions and charge for the services. Thats how it
should be: carpenter does not charge for his tools, he charges for the
solutions he gives you. doctors dont charge for a stethoscope but for what
they do with it. Time is not far away when we will have very easy to use
tools at hand that can be taken for granted, then the focus is bound to
shift to SERVICES and SOLUTIONS.

For the above to be true we need to have a distinction between SOFTWARE and
SOLUTIONS. It is anybody's guess. Believe me, today because of what i have
learnt from open Source software has enabled me to dream of outwitting the
megacorps with GPLed software. GPLed software also helps us move ahead fast.
We cant sit on the IP that we have created, we have to innovate else our
work is rendered obsolete by another genius from the brave GNU world. IT
LEADS TO AN ENVIRONMENT OF CONSTANT INNOVATION.

And innovation is good for the world.

I would close with this: ALL THE SOFTWARE SHOULD BE GPLed, ALL THE SOLUTIONS
MAY OR MAY NOT BE, ALL THE SERVICES SHOULD BE CHARGED FOR.

leave you with this thought,

regards,
tarun gaur

In support of Sanil's view !!