[Fsf-friends] How to make Motorola SM56 internal modem work ?

N S Srikanth srikanthns@vsnl.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 10:24:08 +0530

Hi Listers

I am trying to install GNU/Linux on some of my friends' PC's here at
Trivandrum. The trouble is that all of them have only internal modems. They
would very much like to try Any distro.
Having heard that it works with PCQ Linux 7.1, I installed it at a friend's
PC (dual boot). But to make internal modem work, it was no way. I installed
sm56 rpm, set it up and ran it . Setup was okay , but the modem will not
work. Either " it is unable to find the modem" or " modem is busy"(I made
the sym link, changed the device pointer  /dev/modem, /dev/ttyS01, 02 etc .,
"n" number of times). But no way.  I posted this query earlier. I am at my
wits end.

Now apart from RH7.3, I have MDK9.0, Slackware 8.1 and Debian Woody (3 CD
set) with me. Will the internal modem (Motorola SM 56)  work in any of these
distros without any hassle ?At least 5 of my friends have internal modem
only.
I would like to install GNU/Linux in as many PC's here in Trivandrum, but
only if this problem is resolved .
Any pointers or hints to help solve this problem ?

N S Srikanth
Trivandrum