[Fsf-friends] People like him should be thrown out

Mahesh T Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:32:46 +0530

Tarun Gaur wrote:

> I dont know what has offended Mr. MTP ?

This:-

>>> Can you give me any URL on any website where i could read about
>>> your work.

Thanks for being considerate.  I expected worse from you. You will
please refer back to the first line I quoted from your letter.  You were
asking somebody for help to configure your 'linux' installation. And
before helping *you*, that guy should convince you of his credentials.
Is that how you seek help?

I view that as an attempt at recruting. No problem if you use the list
to identify people who are active GNU hackers. But, please, please, do
not use a public mailing list to offer a job.

You were asking for that guy's CV/website.  You claim to have a multi
locational business but disclose nothing about yourselves or your
position in your organisation.

And you were using a non-free mail id.  I find that site particularly
irritating - not the contents or service - that is good.  In fact
personally, one of the things which introduced me to the free s/w
movement was my experience of not being able to access some sites using
some browesers.

> Mr. MTP, it is guyz like you who discourage people like me to
> disclose their professional emails.

I am not writing to you off list.  I did not cc or bcc this to you, in
spite of you disclosing your another mail ID in another mail ( no - I
did not miss it).  You could have used that ID to write off list to the
concerned person whose help you 'sought'.

> brother i do serious work and want serious help.

If what you mean by 'help' is 'employment', please offer it in private.
Not in a public 'intellectual forum'.  If you need help in the sense
used in a dictionary asking for CVs before someone helps you is in bad
taste.

> Is this forum created to insult people ?

Definitely Not. But people should not insult the list either.  Asking
somebody his CV and URI in a public mailing list
_is_an_insult_to_the_list._  You could have shown more courtsey to the
list by writing to the concerned person off list.  You have, and are,
compounding your insult by repeatedly repeating the offers for
recruitment (of course, you call it by different names) and simply
refusing to disclose about yourselves and / the projects you are working on.

Keeping info about the s/w being developed is not the way the free s/w
community works.

Allow me to quote a few sentences from your own mails.  Hope they apply
to you also.

> I have failed to understand why cant we take criticism in the right
> spirit

'We', I understand includes Tarun Gaur.

Here is something else you said:-
> I feel great that i have been able to induce the need for
> Constructive Criticism into our forum.

Well, in may earlier posting, I quoted what I object in your mail.  Will
you please point out what you find to be disgusting in mine? If I have
not already justified it, and I cannot explain what you are going to
point out, I will apologise ....

 From another of your posts:-
> Remember friends, EXPRESSIONS ARE AN INDEX OF MIND.

Well, I only asked what you do to justify an open offer for recruitment,
and you blow your top, demanding that I am thrown of the list, that you
will join the american list, will complain to list admins, and what not.

Please let me conclude with a quote quoted by you:-

> .... We respect difference of opinion.

Trust that you have not changed your mind on that.

Regards, (Well, now that we understand each other better)
Mahesh T. Pai.

PS:- Please use the "reply to" button on the compose page of MSN (if
there is one).  That will help us sort your replies by subject and/or
threads.  But, you should be knowing that, since you have more email
accounts than I have cash in the bank.