[Fsf Education] A small exposure to GNU/Linux

Roshan d_rosh2001@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 19 10:57:46 IST 2006

--- Ajay Pal Singh Atwal <ajaypal at bbsbec.org> wrote:

> :-)
>
> Brush up your linux skills,
Yes. I need to. But actually, I am a novice in using
any GNU/Linux. I am slowly finding out material over
the internet, for configuring different things to use
GNU/Linux. I still have a long way to actually *brush*
up linux skills, rather, I am supposed to learn first.

> usually a new entry in
> xorg.conf for a new monitor (specify the refresh
> rate) would do the trick. Though this kind of thing
> should have been handled automatically by X,
> fortunately i never had such a problem. The easy
> workarounds are temporarily turn off your laptop
> LCD, restart the system and before kuduz (that is in
> FC, dont know abt ubuntu) begins its usual h/w
> detection switch over to external display.
I had a few pointers to this.

In my post, I mentioned ubuntu working with DLP
Projector, which is different from a normal LCD
Projector. Ubuntu started detecting hardware and it
displayed "RNG: not detected". I am trying to find out
what RNG is.

> Another off topic rant, i guess most of the people
> subscribed in fsf education must be giving
> presentations on gnu/ linux to our students and
> delegates, is it possible we can create a repository
> of GNU FDLed presentation material contributed by
> community. Can FSF India help in this, maybe by
> providing some server space or some way to organise
> and contribute stuff. The presentations can be
> improved by community efforts.
> I can contribute my presentation material that I
> have prepared collected over for last 3-4 year since
> I have started advertising/ marketing GNU software.
>
> Some possible categories to organise presentation
> material may be:
>
> Introductory and Beginer
>   OS in general
>   Indiavidual Software Packages
> Mid Level
>   Software development and software engineering
>   Using tools to automate
>   Kernel Development
>   Web Application Development
> Please suggest