[Fsf Education] GNU/Linux in Schools [Was: Re: [Fsf-india] Peruvian Bill and its response]

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala fsf-edu@mm.gnu.org.in
09 May 2002 10:38:14 +0530

On Wed, 15 May 2002 11:19:07 +0530, CK Raju <ckraju@zyberway.com> wrote:

> Peru deserves a very high position, as is evident from the response, its
> Congressman gave to the queries posed by Microsoft.
>
> The response is at
> http://www.online.ie/technology/viewer.adp?article=1733032

The following para from the Congressman's letter is quite relevant to
our ongoing effort to introduce GNU/Linux in schools in Kerala:

                  In fact Mexico has gone into reverse with
                  the Red Escolar (Schools Network) project.
                  This is due precisely to the fact that the
                  driving forces behind the Mexican project
                  used license costs as their main argument,
                  instead of the other reasons specified in
                  our project, which are far more essential.
                  Because of this conceptual mistake, and as
                  a result of the lack of effective support
                  from the SEP (Secretary of State for
                  Public Education), the assumption was made
                  that to implant free software in schools
                  it would be enough to drop their software
                  budget and send them a CD ROM with Gnu/
                  Linux instead. Of course this failed, and
                  it couldn't have been otherwise, just as
                  school laboratories fail when they use
                  proprietary software and have no budget
                  for implementation and maintenance. That's
                  exactly why our bill is not limited to
                  making the use of free software mandatory,
                  but recognizes the need to create a viable
                  migration plan, in which the State
                  undertakes the technical transition in an
                  orderly way in order to then enjoy the
                  advantages of free software.

We have to be *extremely* careful not to make the same mistakes that
the Mexicans made in their failed attempt to introduce GNU/Linux in
schools without laying the appropriate foundation or ensuring
continuous support.

If the Director of Public Instructions, Kerala, is "interested" in
free software, then we must first request him to consider introducing
the simple philosophy of free software in the school curriculum. Some
people might protest and say that we cannot assume that high school
students will be able to understand the philosophy of free
software. That would be a wrong assumption. There is nothing
complicated about the philosophy of free software. It is a simple
matter of rights, ethics and morality. High school civics courses have