[Fsf Education] Re: [Fsf-india] Free Software in education.

Arun M fsf-edu@mm.gnu.org.in
Wed, 8 May 2002 14:11:13 +0530

> Uh, is there some specific reason you're saying that?  I'm not really
> a Python fan, but apart from that I'd like to see a decent discussion
> on which language should be recommended to schoolchildren than just
> one person's opinion (however correct and/or valuable it may be).

I am a Python fan.

I feel Python is best language for students.

1) Its very very simple
2) Supports all major programming paradigm (Structured,OOP, Functional etc.)
3) Last but not least it works ;)

See think link, http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

I dont feel that teaching programming is required in schools. And Computers
are not the major requirement in improving the quality of education. Target
is to make students feel Computer is just another tool like Radio and TV.
(This is something I learned from discussions with committed people in the
field of education)

arun