[Fsf Education] Re: [Fsf-india] GNU/Linux in Schhools

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala fsf-edu@mm.gnu.org.in
25 Apr 2002 10:05:59 +0530

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:35:48 +0530 (IST), "E. Krishnan" <ekmath@md5.vsnl.net.in> wrote:

> Arun and myself met the Director of Public Instructions, Kerala and
> he shows considerable interest in introducing Free Software
> in schools. The idea is to introduce it as part of IT curriculum in
> High School classes. We will have to do some work regarding this.

  0) Incorporating the simple philosophy of free software in the
     curriculum. Including, but not limited to, the following:

        What is free software. Why all software should be free. What
        is wrong with non-free software. Moral, ethical and practical
        advantages of using and developing free software.

> 1) Creating a custom GNU/Linux for our schools with educational and
>    office tools
> 2) Creating  materials for training school teachers in GNU/LInux
> 3) Selecting and documenting good educational software
> 4) Gaining support from schools for implementing the same
>
> The work requires a lot of man power. If you are willing to help in
> taking charge of some of these efforts please let us know.
>
> We are also interested in knowing your suggestions on what all we can do
> as part of this project.
>
> --
> Krishnan

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala