[Fsf Education] Fwd: Free Software for Education

Arun M fsf-edu@mm.gnu.org.in
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:48:23 +0530

> > 	The objective is to provide a complete set of Free Software Tools
> > for education, promote FS and (package)distribute applications among
> > students. Our first target would be Standard 11 and 12 (plus two).
>
> Could you please consider merging this project with an advocacy
> project also targeting a similar audience?
>
>         http://gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-edu/2001-October/000010.html

    Definitely.

    But i will suggest a small change. Its better to address teachers
    rather than students.

> The merged project could devise a talk/lecture/symposium split in two
> parts: one devoted to the philosophy and the other introducing
> relevant free software tools.

Fine, BTW it aims at collecting an evaluating the free softwares
available for Education and development of more when needed.

Any volunteers for creating the directory and evaluation ?
Help of Web programmers, application developers, experts in
education etc will be required for this project.

> For instance, the CBSE +2 syllabus consists of a C/C++ course. I
> wouldn't be surprised to find that most CBSE schools use proprietary
> "visual" compiler environments running on proprietary operating
> systems to teach this course. Besides introducing the youngsters to
> some combination like GNU Emacs/GCC running on a free operating

    Not GNU Emacs and GCC, anjuta or kdevelop with gcc ;)

> system, we could also petition the school managements to switch to
> free software whenever it doesn't conflict with the syllabus.

    The major issue will be getting the teachers changed.

Our friend Varun should be able to give more information.

> The web site could also list the computer software syllabus at the +2

    BTW this project is not about training of computer software alone.

> level of the various state education boards and the central boards
> like CBSE, ICSE etc. This would enable us to concentrate on software
> relevant to the syllabus. If any syllabus contains explicit mention of
> any proprietary software, we should take the campaign a notch higher
> and petition the corresponding education board itself!

    Agreed.

> > You can enlist your support and suggest ideas(please!) at
> > fsf-india@gnu.org.in. Any queries can be addressed to me at
> > ranjitbabu@yahoo.com/d0153019@ncb.ernet.in
>
> It would be best if we "centralized" all discussion on this project on
> the "FSF Education" mailing list.

Sure.